Newtons method in the complex plane
- Prof. Murat İbrahim Yazar
(Erasmus guest lecturer)
Times and Place
Tuesday 10th October 12:30-14:00 in 5A
Wednesday 11th October 14:30-16:00 in 5G
Wednesday 11th October 16:30-18:00 in 25.42 2542.00.41
Thursday 12th October 14:30-16:00 in 25.42 2542.00.41
This short course mainly is about bringing students together
with mathematical beauty of fractals. You will learn about fractals,
Mandelbrot sets and Julia sets. In the computer lab sessions we will
develope basin portraits of polynomials.
- Newton’s Method as an iterated function
- Basic definitions and terms about fractals
- Examples of fractals in nature and mathematics.
- Basin portraits of polynomials in complex plain.
Some basic knowledge of complex numbers.
Berkey D.D., Blanchard P.P. , Calculus (third edition), Saunders college publishing, New York (1992)
Pages 182-187 and Appendix-IV
- Aaron Burton, Newton's method and fractals PDF
- Lily Yau and Adi Ben-Israel, The Newton and Halley Methods for Complex Roots PDF
- Carmen Q. Artino, The Complex Roots of a Quadratic Equation: A Visualization PDF
last modified on: 11 October 2017 at 10:05am.